Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Chef'n


I thought I would share my Enchilada Casserole recipe because it's just so darn tasty and I think this is a really good meal to make a couple of at a time and then throw one (or more) in the freezer. I love having meals in the freezer so that on those days that just go terribly wrong, I don't feel tempted to ask Daniel to take me out to dinner. We can just pull something from the freezer and I don't have to spend time cooking. I made both of these for the freezer yesterday because I needed to use up my ingredients and Daniel wouldn't be home for dinner.

Enchilada Casserole
1 Small Onion
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Medium Zucchini
One Large Can Enchilada Sauce (I usually use a can of smaller can of enchilada sauce and a small can of tomato sauce mixed together just for a little more nutritional value)
2 Cups Shredded Chicken
2 Cups Shredded Pepper Jack Cheese
18 Corn Tortillas
Chop the onion and sauté it in the olive oil on medium high until translucent. Then add the peeled and diced zucchini and cook for about 3 more minutes. Set this mixture aside. Pour about ½ cup of the enchilada sauce into your baking pan and evenly coat the bottom of the pan. Then take three tortillas, cut them in half, and place them in the pan with the cut edges against the sides of the pan. Then take two or three tortillas and cover any exposed sauce. Over the tortillas place half the onion and zucchini mixture, then sprinkle half the chicken, and then ½ cup cheese. Repeat. Top with a final layer of tortillas, the remainder of the enchilada sauce and then the remainder of the cheese. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
I double or triple this recipe for freezing. If freezing, make sure the dish is sufficiently wrapped after the last of the cheese is added and then freeze. Write on the outside wrapping the name of the dish and to cook at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

I made a big batch of chocolate chip cookie dough a couple weeks ago but really didn't want to have a ton of cookies laying around tempting me to eat them, so I just made a few at the time and then I spooned the rest of the dough onto the cookie sheet and froze them. Then when the were hard I just stored them in regular tupperware. This way, I can cook just a few cookies really fast when we need some dessert and don't have the temptation of a whole bag or batch.

4 comments:

Vanillabean said...

I am so Jealous. You do so much in a day! So resourceful. I am inspired to be a super mom too. Frozen Dinners are the best. I think that is the best idea... and I'm gonna do it. I have all the ingredients for the enchiladas except for the zuchinni oh and whoops... we ate all the chicken last night. I'll make it next week.

lisabean said...

Kelly you are a perfect homemaker, and so resourceful.Like Erin, I too am jelous. You seem to have it really together. It is 11:22 and I still have not showered.I love your cookie idea. Though I think I would find myself snacking on frozen cookie dough through out the day. Erin and I get our fabric at Joanns fabric store, they have pretty good deals if you sign up to get coupons. .

lisabean said...

Love the fabric site you sent. Next month I'm ordering frabic from there.Love it!

Flighty Girl said...

Don't let my one day of productivity fool you. Those are few and far between.