Monday, January 29, 2007

Sick Babies and Life in the Thrift Lane

Finn is still sick and John came down with a temp last night. We took the boys for Finn's check up and it turns out he is either getting over, or just starting to get an ear infection. The poor baby. Katie is here though, which has been a huge help.

Erin, I know what you mean about the money thing. Even when you get things from the dollar section at Target, things add up. There's a little Mom and Pop shop I used to go to when I was in Seattle, I'm sure you have one of these and I totally recommend shopping there. They have EVERYTHING! Food, clothing, furniture, kitchen utensils, books, and more. Best of all, it is free. Usually you have to produce a grandchild for a few hours, but the benefits are huge. I would always find things to repurpose or simply use from there. This bookshelf is from that great little shop and I'm currently using it in the boy's room for books and toys. It's not looking it's best right now (John has this thing about clearing the shelves) but I love it. Best of all, the price: FREE! I no longer have this shop near me, so I highly encourage those who do to take full advantage.

I also try to make some money on eBay when there's little or no 'mad' money for me. I've found that I go into "money-making" mode once I start this though, and then I don't even spend the money I do make on the little things I thought I wanted, but try to reinvest and make more. Or I help pay for groceries, whatever's most needed. This Hanna Andersson (not mine) oufit just sold on eBay (it was listed as "great used condition") for about $42. You might want to research some of Lucia's old clothes and see if they have any resale value.








It amazes me the thing we have that somebody wants to buy. I recently sold a bunch of old wooden spools. I wasn't doing anything with them and on a whim, looked them up to see if they would get anything on eBay. Sure enough, they sold. I did make a fortune or anything, but sometimes, like now, every dollar counts.

Well, I'm off to make some Enchilada Soup, even though it's Dan's night to make dinner (per our resolutions). Hmmmm....I think he'll have to make dinner Friday or something.

5 comments:

lisabean said...

Your poor boys, have you thought about getting them a flu shot?
I got Isabella one, and she hasn't been sick for awhile. I kinda wished I had gotten one myself, then I wouldn't be sick righ now.

lisabean said...

Your poor boys, have you thought about getting them a flu shot?
I got Isabella one, and she hasn't been sick for awhile. I kinda wished I had gotten one myself, then I wouldn't be sick righ now.

Flighty Girl said...

Oh, Finney got the flu shot. Then he proceeded to get the flu. This is the second round of sickness he's had since that darn shot.

Vanillabean said...

Yes the mom and pop store! I do frequent there. But I should do more shopping there.

Kathleen said...

Mom and Pop store? It's local here? Where is it? Can't find it in the yellow pages. Can you give the directions, I need to go there.