Thursday, January 18, 2007

'The Wildness of Domesticity'

In our house, you can often hear, "Daniel, I think I want to.....blah, blah, blah." The next day will be, "Daniel, I think I don't want to blah, blah, blah. I want to blah, blah, blah instead." There are endless crafts, skills, projects, classes, just things in general always flying through my mind that I want to do. Dan mentioned that he's not so sure that my 'Flighty Girl' blog is a good thing. It seems that of late, I've further embraced my inner flightiness.

He was just teasing, of course, about the blogging being a bad thing. But he was right though, I think I have embraced my flightiness. I've always been this way; jumping from one project to the next. It seemed like I was never really doing anything unless my plate was completely full of projects to work on. I think that I have always been discouraged, though, from taking on too much or not focusing enough on one area to specialize in. I think our culture, in general, discourages that kind of variety. We are suppose to specialize. Everyone seems to be trying to be the best at something, and if you're not the best at something, you don't seem to be much of anything. I was skimming over Brave New Family last night. It's a compilation of Chesterton's writings on the family. He had one section called the 'Wildness of Domesticity'. I've read this section before, but reading it again always gives me a kind of comfort, maybe affirmation. It just addresses the assumption (that is still around today, I can safely assume, by a number of questions and comments I receive from people) that life in the home is boring, dull, and repetitious. When in fact, home life is often quite the opposite. I love the freedom that life as a stay-at-home mom affords. I can go from project to project as I please, take the boys here and there, pretty much whatever I want. Sure, there are monotonous aspects, like the fact that I have picked up the toys in the living room about a million times today, but that's just life; every job has monotonous aspects.

So yes, I have embraced my inner flightiness and am very much loving the mercurial nature of being a house-wife. I suppose I will continue to be a 'Jane-of-all-trades' and never a master of one.

No comments: