Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Lent

Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent in the Roman Rite. Lent began on Monday for the Eastern Catholics. This year Dan and I are staying a little more Roman. We've found ourselves in a bit of a bi-ritual quandary, but I'll talk about that another time.
I find myself, once again, being grateful for the onset of Lent. I was talking with Dan about how our lives are very cyclical and that Lent seems quite natural to me. I long for the fasting, then feasting. I asked Dan what he would recommend I read during this Lent, and he suggested Great Lent by Alexander Schmemann. (I started reading it aloud to John this evening while Dan was at school. I know he can't understand and he just plays while I read, but reading aloud helps me focus and he stays quite and it helps him settle down. Since he was born, Dan has read aloud to him. I think that being exposed to good theology, however little he understands, can only help.) Anyways, I am really enjoying this book and really think it is a great book for spiritual reading for anyone who is still looking for something to read this Lent.

No comments: