Thursday, February 1, 2007

Mezuza Palooza

Ok, maybe that sounds a little sacriligious. I'm not sure. I'm not Jewish. I had noticed this funny little thing on our doorway for the backdoor but then promptly forgot about it until Dan mentioned it to me the other day. I had no idea what it was, but Dan, being the brilliant Theologian he is, told me it was a mezuza, something which the observant Jews in our neighborhood place in their doorways. It has a little scroll inside with the passage from Deuteronomy written in Hebrew on it and members of a Jewish home would touch the mezuza and then touch their lips as they enter the doorway. I guess the scroll itself is called the mezuza and the casing for it is called a Talmud. I was so curious to see what it looked like, but after reading more, I think we maybe weren't supposed to open it according to Jewish tradition. I'm not sure. I do think it's kind of neat though.

1 comment:

Vanillabean said...

That's so cool! I love that type of stuff. I used to want to leave messages in places I've lived for the people who lived there after me. Or throw a message in a bottle. Also I wanted a time capsule. But this is so much cooler.