Tuesday, February 6, 2007

What's on your shelf??


I've been moving furniture a bit. I moved my beloved bookshelf from the boys room to the living room and placed all the toys and house in their room. I don't want toys to be stored in the living room anymore. After a bit of organizing, the boys ended up with the majority of the shelves, but I got one, and the top, and that's more than I had before. I'm keeping some of my favorite books in it: home reference, idea books, poetry, cook books, and my current reading.
Here are some of the titles from my shelf that I love to share:
I really think this is a perfect book of spiritual reading for mothers. It's broken up into very 'bite size' sections, so I can read just a paragraph or so at a time and get a complete thought while I'm nursing or have just a quick moment.
I read this during the first few months of marriage and feel that any bride, no matter how long she's been married, would really enjoy it.
I love housekeeping books. I'm a bit surprised by this, as I was totally a messy kid growing up and really not too interested in keeping a tidy home. Now, I really enjoy a tidy house and enjoy reading about keeping homes tidy even more. Weird, huh? Anyways, I have Martha Stewart's new book and the Fly Lady book, Martha's a good reference and the Fly Lady is inspirational as well as a good guide. I also have the Tightwad Gazettes. I have older copies, so I have it in three volumes, but the link I gave is for the complete Tightwad. It's really all about living the thrifty life, and I think it's been great for creatively keeping home on one income. Meredith at Like Merchant Ships has recommended it, as well as The Hidden Art of Homemaking, which I picked up after she mentioned it on her blog. I really liked the concepts in this book.
Ok, I know that's a lot of links, so I'm not going to do any more. I would love any suggestions for books though. Or maybe Lisa, Erin, and Irina could write their own little post of what's on their shelf.
Man, that's a whole lot of linking going on.

2 comments:

Irina S. said...

That's a great idea Kelly. I think I'll post a picture of my favorite books when I have a little time.
I think Philokalia is a great recommendation. I saw that book you linked to, at church, and I thought of buying it. But I thought that Philokalia was a series of many books. Is the one you have a more concise version, like a collection of some of the best writings in Philokalia?

Flighty Girl said...

Yes, this is more of a concise version. It's really very good and is really directed toward the lay person and I have found it especially helpful as a mother.