Thursday, May 31, 2007

New Recipe

I got a subscription to Cook's Country (an off-shoot of Cook's Illustrated) from my mother-in-law for my birthday and my first issue was waiting for me when I got back. I've always eyed Cook's Illustrated when I browsed the magazine rack at B&N, but never saw the Cook's Country before. I have to say, it's bigger, has great recipes, and so many more photos in color - I love it! We tried the Garlic Chicken with Sweet Roasted Pepper Sauce recipe and it came out very well.
Here's the recipe if you want to try:
4 chicken breasts
salt and pepper
2 tbsp vegatable oil
1 small onion
6 garlic cloves (I used only 3)
1 (12-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup fresh basil
2 tbsp butter

1. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to plate.
2. Add onion to fat in skillet and cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add peppers, sugar, broth, and broth, and browned chicken along with any accumulated juices and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
3. Transfer chicken to serving platter and tent with foil. Return skillet to high heat and simmer sauce is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Off heat, whisk in basil and butter. Season with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over chicken and serve.
We have some rose bushes out back that are in full bloom and have the best scent, sweet and kind of sandle wood-ish. Sadly, my picture doesn't do them justice, but they made a beautiful centerpiece for our dinner.

No comments: