Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Moving Lessons

I don't blog for a few days and it feels like an eternity. Man.
So we moved. And it was awful. I'm not going to even try and sugar coat it. The two fellows who had agreed to so graciously help us, backed out the day before. Jerks. (Maybe that's not nice of me to say, but I really do not care. What they did was really not so nice at all either.) We had no help aside from my mom, who thank God, watched the kids for us the whole time. We'd still be moving now if she hadn't been here. So the heavy lifting fell upon Dan and my shoulders. Literally. I counted, and I have over 37 bruises. Those are the ones I can see. Before we moved, I felt a bit scared. Just not knowing what to expect in our new neighborhood and the thought of all the hard work we were up against was overwhelming. But I knew I didn't want to stay in our little home. Sure, we could have stayed there because it was familiar and in that sense it was comfortable, but it was small and didn't fit the needs of our family. Really, the situation was so analogous to much we encounter in life. The not knowing what's ahead of you, the temptation to stay stagnant where you are in life because it's familiar, the hard work and pain you encounter in moving forward to hopefully, eventually, move to a better place. I must say, though, we are in a better place. We are getting situated and love it here. The house is twice the size of our last home. It feels so amazing, like we have room to breath. We were worried about the size of the yard, but really, I think it will be ok for now. It's been amazing how well the boys adjusted to the move. No sleep disruptions or behavior problems at all. They have just loved being here.
So we are just happy that we are here, and hopefully won't have to move for at least a few years. If we do, I'm totally saving for professional movers.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Congratulations on your move, Kelly! Oh, I wish we were closer so we could have helped! So sorry about your bruises. I'm glad you like your place and that the boys seem happy. Can't wait to see you when you come out!

mamabean said...

I can't wait to see pictures of your new place!
Maybe you need more iron in your diet. I bruise easily too, and always seem to become anemic when I'm pregnant. I think I bruise due to a lack of Iron. Bad news, coffee inhibits iron absorbtion.
I'm happy for your family, pray for us, that everything goes through on the remodeling of our house.