Thursday, July 19, 2007

Patty-Cake, Patty-Cake

We're going to a little get-together tonight, so I made some cupcakes to bring for dessert. I'm excited to finally be meeting some wives and families of people in Dan's program, and I think the boys will be thrilled to play with some kids their age. The cupcakes are actually from a mix, but my mother-in-law taught me the secret to good cupcakes and muffins was to make sure that you barely stir the dry ingredients with the wet, so even though it's just a mix, the consistency once baked was great.

My little cupcake thief.

Anyone can pretty much tell that I love all things vintage, and now I have a vintage choclate frosting recipe to add to my collection of vintage things. My aunt, the one who sent me this apron, sent me the recipe below:
CHOCOLATE FROSTING
Melt these in saucepan :
2 Tbsp butter
2 sqares
unsweetened Baker's chocolate (2 ounces)
Add:
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
A tiny pinch of salt
Mix, it will look lumpy and funny. Add 2 Tablespoons hot milk, slowly, you might not need that much, or you may need a little more. Mix, adding milk until frosting is of the consistancy that you want.

This is a recipe that I got when I was 12 years old, I used to send in for every free recipe book that I saw advertised in magazines, this one was in the Baker's chocolate recipe book.

I ended up melting a couple more tablespoons of butter to make it a little more buttery, but it came out great and I'll be using it again.

2 comments:

mamabean said...

Where did you get that blue plate?
It's beautiful. The cupcakes look yummy.

Flighty Girl said...

Thanks, it's a cake plate I got on clearence at Anthropologie a couple years ago. I got 6 matching dessert plates to go with it, but only 5 are still surviving.