Monday, October 8, 2007

Daniel laughs at me

But really, he thinks I'm cute. He laughed at me yesterday because I wanted to make a BBQ. We don't have one, well, a real one, and don't really feel like shelling over the bucks for one (we're waiting for a good deal at a garage sale), but until then, I still want to BBQ. It's too hot to cook in the house. Silly weather. So after looking through this book at the bookstore, I decided to make my own. The book gives instructions and I'm going to borrow it from the library to find out what other ideas it has, but until then, you can find me grilling in the backyard. Here's how:
The previous tenants left this very large, but slightly broken, pot and the boys and I filled it with rocks and bricks and such - the idea of "rock hunting" was a very big hit, so much so that they ended up getting two baths by the end of the day. They looked like this, only dirtier. I also placed bricks underneath to allow for air circulation.
Then I lined it with tin foil and placed my coals on top and started it up.
I used my cooling rack for the grill and it worked perfectly. Dan and I had the best time sitting outside at our little bistro table, drinking wine, eating our little dinner. The boys just played and played and got completely dirty again, but had the most fun doing so. It felt kind of like camping, except we got to sleep in real beds and use real bathrooms. If you don't have a BBQ, I highly recommend this method.

So with grilling in mind, here's my meal plan for Meal Plan Monday:
Monday: Chicken skewers - again! I can't get enough!
Tuesday: Chili Lime Chicken
Wednesday: Chicken sausage in Penne with spicy red sauce
Thursday: Beef Stew
Friday: Tuna Pasta

5 comments:

Mommy Chef said...

menu looks great.And cooler weather is coming our way after tomorrow.Thank goodness.Have a great week and enjoy your bbq!

tegdirb92 said...

what a great idea!! I LOVE IT!! Wonderful meal plan this week. The lime chicken looks delicious.

mamabean said...

You are so creative! I love the bbq, I almost want to try it sometime but we already have a bbq.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Meredith said...

Brilliant!