Sunday, October 7, 2007

Weekend Update

It's been a busy weekend and it's time for some therapeutic blog time. I was very down and out on Friday with the same bug the boys had. I was a bit better on Saturday, and we had been planning a dinner party, so even though I wasn't tip top, we still pulled it off. I made this salmon recipe, cause it's very easy but tastes awesome. Then we had rice to go with and a salad of mixed greens with pear and candied walnuts (I candy them myself and always make extra for treats for the rest of the week - so good). For dessert I made a Key Lime pie. It's one of Dan's favorite desserts, and I had never ever tried it until I made it for him the first time a couple years ago. Now it's one of my favorites too.

(You can make an egg-less version too. It's funny that I always pay attention to this in recipes. I think it must have been so ingrained in me during childhood to be aware of what my brother - who has a severe egg allergy - could and couldn't eat, that I still make a mental note whenever I have something that is egg-less, and particularly good, that Ryan can have it and that I should make it when I see him.)

The food for the dinner party all came out fine, but I feel like the evening itself was only ok. We were the only ones who had kids and you can really feel the difference when you are around people who don't have kids or aren't around children versus those who have kids or are very used to them. A fellow told Dan when I was pregnant with John that we would soon see that the world is separated into two kinds of people, those who have children, and those who don't. I have found this to be very, very true.

Today has been pretty great except for that it's so freaking HOT!!! I really can't help it, but I blame Pittsburgh for this. I don't know why. I know it's not logical. Weather is weather, you can't change it, but I can't help but feel that somehow the city is personally responsible for the fact that it's in the high 80's, and it's a whole week into October! Tomorrow is supposed to be 90 degrees. Insanity, I tell you.

It was far too hot to cook in the house tonight, so I'll show you in my next post how I made dinner, MacGyver style. Yeah.

No comments: