Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Holey vintage gravy stains! or, The Wedding Dress

I was at the thrift store last week and found the beautiful vintage, linen table cloth, hand-embroidered, for only $4. The problem was there were stains and little holes here and there. Poor unwanted table cloth. So I thought, just maybe, I would make something of it, and so now it is the dress I will be wearing to my brother's upcoming wedding. It's still a bit wonky in parts, so there's some fixing to be done, but I'm pretty happy with the result for now. It's got ties in the back to give it some shape, and I won't be wearing it the color it is. First of all, isn't it totally taboo to wear white to a wedding (that is, if you're not the bride)?? Secondly, I think there are gravy stains on this older than me. So I need to figure out what color to die it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. By the way, would you be able to guess it was a table cloth?? Wouldn't that be fantastic to show up and have people look at me and think, "My goodness, is that woman wearing a table cloth????" Maybe I should get a back-up dress....

4 comments:

Meredith said...

No--it's incredible! But I would dye it. You could probably do it with tea and have a lovely ecru or tan color.

mamabean said...

did you use a pattern? It is so cute! And i would never guess it was a table cloth. Maybe a light baby blue color to match the flowers?
My mom has table cloth that is very Mexicana and once i saw the exact same table cloth as a dress in a jcpenny catologue (sp?). so your not the only one who recycles table cloths into dresses.

Flighty Girl said...

Meredith, I love the idea of using tea to die it. I have some old black tea that is no longer good I think and was going to throw it out, but now I can use it!
Lisa, I VERY loosely used a pattern I had. Really I just used the from and back panels as a guide and made the rest up as I went.

annemcd said...

Kelly, you amaze me!! What a beautiful dress-- I never would have known it was a tablecloth!