Friday, August 8, 2008

simple 24

Thanks for the comments on yesterday's post. Things are a bit better now - though today started out with the funk still lingering. In the afternoon I decided I'd had enough. We were going to have fun and be happy, dang it. Finn napped, John and I painted, then we all had tea.

I'm reading one of Anne's recommendations, Real Learning, and I completely love it. The author has tea with her little ones every day, and I agreed that it was quite the brilliant idea. So today John discovered he loves Fireside Chai almost as much as his mommy. (If you are anywhere near Martin's in Front Royal, VA, go buy out their selection of Zhena's Gypsy tea. You won't be sorry, and it the cheapest around!)

As far as the diapers go, I got a pretty killer deal on some disposables for the tiny one, so I bought 'em (like I probably spent less on the diapers than the water bill would be for cloth). Then I felt guilty, because, though I'm not completely crunchy, I still feel bad about consuming so much and throwing so much away. When you think of all the diapers a baby uses, it's really quite a lot of crap. Literally. I also know that it's so much harder to change to cloth after a little one gets used to that crinkle-crinkle sound. Well, maybe they more get used to the feel. But then there's the convenience factor to the disposables...... so you can see, I'm still quite torn. I think it's these baby hormones that make it that much harder for me. It feels a bit silly to get so hung up on, but I am, so oh well. If you have more thoughts, let me know.

7 comments:

annemcd said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better, and I"m so glad you're enjoying the book! I tried tea time once with my crew. James proceeded to spill very hot tea on his lap and I'm afraid (pardon the pun) he's scarred forever. We'll try again in the fall when the weather is cool-- maybe with hot cider or cocoa instead . . . :)

Vanillabean said...

you are so civilized. Lucia loves chai too (although it has caffeine.. so I gots to be careful). She also enjoys sniffing tea bags...

Kelly said...

Anne, maybe a little iced tea?? ;)

Erin, you gotta try the Zhena's - it's decaf, and it's better than any other chai I've tried.

mamabean said...

I love the idea of tea time. That gives me a great excuse to go out a buy a tea pot and new teas kettle since ours is broken. Isabella loves to pretend she drinking coffee with me she has her own matching coffee starbucks mug just like mine.
Have you thought about those biodegradable gdiapers.

When I Grow Up said...

I have asked my aunt about using disposable diapers vs cloth ones. She simply said that she thinks that new babies take up a lot of your time and that moms shouldn't have to feel guilty about "filling up the land fills" in this way. You can contribute to taking care of the environment elsewhere, this particular thing should not have to become an undue burden.

I don't know if that helps but truly, it seems like you have a lot on your plate right now! When does Dan get back?

When I Grow Up said...

Ok Mike just informed me that you are probably more concerned about the cost of diapers which I didn't realize. That makes my comment even less helpful..sorry!

Kelly said...

Kayleen,
Dan's back, so things are better. There is always a cost factor. Always. But I have been thinking about what it means to be a good steward for some time. God gives so much, and I feel we should take care of what He has given and use what He has given with care. Our society is all about convenience, but I wonder if this is any area, for me, God is calling for a little inconvenience. So I guess I'm still discerning diapers. Not the kind of thing I thought I'd ever be discerning. So very non-lofty. But my calling now is serving in little things, like dirty diapers, be they cloth or disposable.