Tuesday, October 28, 2008

making

I was thinking about how I like to make things the other day as I slipped Jamie into the sweater I knit for him (alleluia! it fits!! I was really pretty surprised). The process of creating is fun and exciting for me. It's cool to see creations go from simple materials to their intended form (when all works as it should).
Here's my latest hat. I got so excited when I saw that Daniel's Winter hat had a moth hole in it, thus necessitating a new hat.
I like that when I'm making something, I think about that person and my relationship with them. I like to say prayers for them as I work, weaving those thoughts and prayers into the stitches. And I realized that what is really left when all is finished, is a physical manifestation of all those thoughts and prayers. "Let my prayer ascend to you like incense," ran though my mind. And then I imagined a flood of hats, pants, and sweaters wafting through the air towards heaven...

6 comments:

Mod Girl said...

Kelly, what beautifully articulated words and thoughts. I couldn't agree more.

Jamie suddenly looks like a baby, not a newborn, and he's quite dashing in his sweater!

Renee Therese (Towler) Clayton said...

Do you have a pattern for that sweater? I have been looking for a pattern exactly like that!

Kelly said...

Thank you MG. I'm kinda sad he's lost his newborn-ness. It all goes too fast.

Renee, I made up the pattern for the sweater. But give me a little time, and hopefully I can write one up.

Renee Therese (Towler) Clayton said...

I am impressed you made it up. I am not sure I could figure out the arms.

I am always finding inspiration in your blogs!

When I Grow Up said...

Well I certainly loved the apron you made for me. I love it even more now that I know there are prayers involved :)

bethany actually said...

I don't knit but I crochet, and I often do the same thing as I'm crocheting, think of the person who'll receive the blanket or hat or whatever, and pray for them.

Then I laughed as I pictured great streams of knitted hats and sweaters and crocheted blankets and purses rising up to heaven. :-)