Tuesday, October 7, 2008

the weather, hats for teapots, babies, and baked goods

The Fall weather has arrived on time this year. Funny how things work out. I fully expected Jamie to be born early - I had all the signs of an early baby - but no, he was more than a week overdue. (Which felt like an eternity.) The Fall I expected to come late. The past two years we've had Indian summers lasting well into October, but this year it has arrived right on time. I guess all this should be a lesson to me to never expect much, in regard to timeliness, from nature.
Being that Fall is here, copious amounts of tea and coffee are being consumed. There's something so cozy about a hot cup on a crisp day. Dan and I went out a couple Saturdays ago, just us and Jamie, as a little last date before my mom left (thanks mom!) for lunch and perusing in a quaint little nearby town. We stopped in at the yarn shop and I thought I would start on my first post-pregnancy knitting project. Just a small one to ease back into my crafting grove. So naturally, a tea cozy (doesn't everyone make tea cozy after they have a baby?). This was a project that would have taken only a few hours pre-baby, but took me over a week post-baby to complete. I like it. My tea is warm. My babies are cute. The crafty-grove has been jump started, and while not in full force, it's nice to have projects to work on between holding sweet babes.

We picked up some homemade strawberry rhubarb jam at the farm we visited over the weekend, so we needed some scones to go with all that tea and jam and crisp weather. Here is a little invention that turned out quite well for drop scones:


Lemon Drop Scones

2 cups flour
1/4 tsp. salt
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup sugar
the zest of one lemon

whisk together

cut in 1/2 cup cold butter

add 1 1/4 cups milk

mix

scoop to make about 12 scone on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 450 for 10-12 min.

5 comments:

Mod Girl said...

I love your tea cozy, and your tablecloth, and your plate... and I'm sure I'll love your scones. Please send Fall to me, we're still basking in Indian summer.

Vanillabean said...

Already knitting! You are so hard core. Your Mom stayed with you guys for a long time. That was nice!

Anne said...

That all sounds so cozy. Fall has arrived for us, too, and we are enjoying the warming coziness of tea (though we don't have a tea cozy--yours is really cute!).

Lisa said...

I have just started knitting a scarf and I'm not half way done and it's been two weeks and you had a baby knitted a tea cozy and made lemmon drop scones! I'm just proud of myself if I have some bread ready by dinner made in a bread machine. Good job!

Kelly said...

Erin, if I ever join a knitting circle, I'm going to insist that we all have nick-names and that "hard core" be embroidered into the back of my jacket.
Thank you all for the tea cozy love.
And mod girl, I'll do my best to send some cool Fall breezes your way.