Thursday, November 20, 2008

rolled brim baby hat pattern

A few of you wanted the pattern for my little knit baby hat. Though I've made-up several things, I've never written down a pattern before, so this is my first attempt. I'd love some feedback from anyone who tests it. Let me know if I've forgotten anything or if I could be any clearer.

Rolled Brim Beanie with Stem

For size 6m (12m, 18m)
Materials needed:
1 skein medium weight yarn
US #8 Circular Needle
5 US #8 double pointed needles

Cast on 56 (60, 64) stitches, join in the round and knit stockinette for about 5 inches.
Seperate onto four needles - 14 (15, 16) on stiches each.
On each needle, knit the first two stitches together, then knit the remaining stitches on the needle.
Continue this way until you have two stitches on each needle.
1st needle - move both stitches to second needle.
2nd needle - knit 2 together, knit 2 together
3rd needle - move both stitches to 4th needle
4th needle - knit 2 together, knit 2 together
You will then have two stitches on two needles. Knit in the round for about 1 inch. Cut end, weave through the remaining stitches and weave in through the center of the stem and secure.

7 comments:

Lisa said...

Such a cutie pie! He makes me already want another baby.

Anne said...

Thanks for the pattern! Can't wait to try it :) (Not sure who I'd give it to yet, but I want to try it!)

Kayleen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kayleen said...

I don't know how to purl knit yet :( Do you have a book or website that you recommend to learn?

Kelly said...

Thanks Lisa, you're welcome Anne, and Kayleen, you can learn how to purl simply by looking up videos on youtube. I also borrowed Stitch'n Bitch from the library, and really thought it was the best "how to knit" books I've read (seeing as I actually learned something from it). There's no purling in this pattern, though, so knit away :)

Anne said...

knittinghelp.com has some great hints and tips for knitting all sorts of things. That's how I learned to knit on dpns.

djbeat said...

love this hat! are you on etsy?