Tuesday, January 27, 2009

all good organization begins with craft

Lately I've been feeling overwhelmed by the house, and I finally came up with a game plan for tackling it. No more going to bed with the dishes not done (such a yucky way to wake up, really) and then one room to clean and organize a day. I do my general daily pick-up, so the main floor is presentable, but it's just the one I have to finish and have thoroughly cleaned. I think it will take just a bit of time to get thing into a proper organized state and then my regular maintenance schedule will work again. Yesterday I cleaned the laundry room. It's beautiful. Today is the living room. Sooooo.... fabric boxes.

We have a little shelf in there that holds the "living room toys" but I really don't like the containers we have to keep them in (plastic bags, cardboard boxes that have been squashed), so I made some fabric boxes and have a few more to go. The new boxes are a novelty to the boys and they are more willing to put their toys away. For now.

If you wanna make some boxes too, here are the steps I used:

Cut out eight pieces, four outside pieces, four inside pieces, then reinforce them with interfacing.
I don't know if you can see it, but the length from the point to the end is 9.25 inches
Sew outside pieces together, turn right side out. Sew inside pieces together, place inside box into outside box.
Fold edges inward and pin in place. Sew it up.
Pretty boxes.

19 comments:

Mod Girl said...

Those are awesome! I think, even I, could make them (although I've never used interfacing). I love it!

Vanillabean said...

I've been meaning to make the same type of thing. I have all the supplies just sitting there ... in a box.

Lisa said...

So I have thought about doing something like this but don't know what materials you need. What type of material is that?

Kelly said...

MG, you could totally make these - super easy.
Lisa, you can get interfacing or fusible web at Joann's, just ask. It tells you how to iron it to your fabric on the package. I actually picked up a bunch at a rummage sale for 10 cents, so keep a look out at the thrift store once your more familiar with it.

Lisa said...

Ohhhh Thank You Thank You!
That does sound easy. I can't wait to make them!

allie said...

Cute and totally functional. Thanks for the tutorial :)

Felicia said...

Groovy! I'm going to give this a try :)

Pink Dogwood said...

nice work - think I'll give this a go!

mamapease said...

those are awesome and I love the fabric! Thank you for the inspiration!

jenni said...

these are perfect for my living room too! thank you!

Jackie said...

Those look great and easy! I can't wait to make some.

mbutterfudge said...

These are such a good idea. Love your fabric choice :D

Amanda @ www.kiddio.org said...

These are so perfect! Just what I need for my impulsive reorganization of our own craft space :)

Danielle said...

this could be a really fun project, for me, i will have to try it.

HennyBeeMama said...

thank you so much! this is such a great idea and tutorial! i whipped one up right away:
http://hennybee.blogspot.com/2009/02/sewing-mini-marathon.html

Amber said...

I gave it a whirl, but added handles to mine. I also made it bigger to fit my purposes. Thanks for the great idea!
You can find it here

Mary Beth said...

I've been contemplating fabric boxes a lot lately and have been looking for a simpler way than the ones in the Amy Butler "In Stitches" book. I've made two of those, but I had "issues" with them. So for yours, how do you construct the bottom? Just sew the side seam then continue down on a diagonal? I think I'll experiment around. Thanks! I'm visiting from Crafty Crow, by the way.

Parnuuna said...

Those boxes are so cute! And fantastically functional. :) I have made one now in corduroy, and it's super easy! The only thing that takes time is ironing the interface on. Thank you so much for the tutorial! :)

BeMyGoth.com - Don't Leave Me Alone

julie said...

Love the simple pattern and easy to follow tutorial. blogged about it here: http://craftyjules.weebly.com/1/post/2010/07/diy-fabric-organization-cubes.html (with credit and links to your site). thanks