Thursday, February 26, 2009

ritual

We have a nightly ritual. Do you? I love it and hate it. Well, I don't hate it, but sometimes I don't feel like going through all the motions. Sometimes I wish I could just say, "Alright, off to bed!" and have them run off, not to be seen till the next morn, and I can do whatever I please for the night. But I realize that day will come, and these days won't stay. So every night, we go upstairs and brush our teeth, put on our pajamas, read at least three stories, and say our prayers. After that, I turn out the lights and they whine and they whine ;) And then I say, "If you are very good, and you keep your head on your pillow, I will stay here with you and knit." So they try to stay still, and sometimes forget, but mostly, they fall asleep to the click-click-clacking of my needles.

5 comments:

Mod Girl said...

Oh, a sweet, sweet ritual, and your boys will always remember their mama knitting by Christmas lights.

Vanillabean said...

I need to learn to knit, for this reason alone.

Alison said...

I was thinking this very thing today; how their dependence upon us will wane. Whether it's bedtime, getting dressed or snuggling when they're hurt. It does take time, takes me away from whatever I was doing. But then I think, how much more important she is and how one day she won't need me like this so I better enjoy every moment.

annemcd said...

How beautiful!!

Renee Therese (Towler) Clayton said...

Hmm, yeah I do about the same thing. But, we keep it dark, so I don't usually knit. I usually get in a whole lot of praying that I would not do otherwise. A lot the times my husband make up some excuse to leave and he shoudl just keep his eyes closed until we come back...then we don't. Or tell him in the morning that we came back, but he had fallen asleep. The routine is good for helping create healthy sleep habits. :-)