Tuesday, February 3, 2009

the vegetarian dilemma

This picture has nothing to do with anything. Finn came running into the kitchen this afternoon telling me to see his building. He showed me his creation and said, "That's Jesus on top."
That so?
Anyways, on to my vegetarian dilemma. So we have a nice beef tenderloin and thought we would have some couples ever to help us eat it. I just found out that half of them are vegetarians. I have NO idea what to cook. I've drawn a vegetarian blank. If you're vegetarian, do you still eat fish?? I am starting to see that I am not so hip to the vegetarian world. I'm thinking of a soup to start? (I do, after all, have a cool soup tureen.) I cook meat-less meals all the time, but not "company" meals. The best part is that it's not the first time we've had one of these couples over. Last time we served chicken. I'm not sure if the poor girl suffered and ate it, or just went for the side dishes. I didn't even notice. And I can't believe I didn't think to ask. blurg.

8 comments:

Lisa said...

Do you remember my recipe for that meatless lasagna? It is really good, but I would suggest making it a a day or two before, because it takes like 3 hours to make (or maybe that's just me). If you want it, I'll re post it on my blog. Good luck!
Did I ever tell you about the time my mom invited the neighbors to a bbq? She made Pork Chops, and they were Jewish. They went back home and brought over tofu dogs. We all ended up laughing about.

annie said...

You should see if you can get your hands on a copy of Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison. It rocks and even if you cook with meat some or even a lot of the time, you'll still use it tons. I do.

Anne said...

I've got lots of veggie soup recipes, and I have a nice book of good salads, too. Let me know what you're interested in :)

Vanillabean said...

Lisa, I was just telling someone that story the other day, although I thought she had roasted a ham. I used to not eat meat. I did eat fish. I had a vegetarian roommate who didn't eat fish though. The fish thing depends on the vegetarian. A rice dish is always good. I recommend moosewood cookbook. It's a great vegetarian cookbook.

Mod Girl said...

Love your elegant soup tureen. WIth the cold weather you're having soup would be great.

Go to Cooking Light and do a search for "easy meatless manicotti" -- this is one of my favorite meatless meals. It's easy and filling and comforting. It does contain cheese which may or may not be a problem depending on the kind of vegetarians your guests are.

Kelly said...

Thanks all - and Lisa, that story was hilarious! I'm still not sure. Now it turns out that there may be more carnivores in our midst, so I'm thinking some bi-partisan type meal?? who knows.

Bridget said...

You need to convert the Veggie People! Meat is our friend!

When you started out by saying, "Anyways, on to my vegetarian dilemma. So we have a nice beef tenderloin..."

I could not see what the dilema could possibly be. You have a nice beef tenderloin! Where's the problem? :)

Bridget said...

Oh, but I guess that doesn't help. My Dad makes a Butternut Squash and Apple Soup all the time, and serves it as a main meal when he has guests. They all seem to like it.