Tuesday, March 10, 2009

spring fever

Unable to wait for the fresh greens outside, we started some of our plants inside.
These are the chick peas we planted. It will be a bit of an experiment, as they do best in dryer climates, but we'll give it a try.
For our planters, I saved a bunch of tin cans and poked holes in the bottom for drainage. Then, taking a little inspiration from here and from here, I asked the boys to draw what they thought the plant would look like when it was grown.
Finn's is on the left.
And it's blue.
All I could say is that it would be one wicked-crazy plant if it came out like that. I then embroidered the pictures (well, not all of Finn's, I got confused) and sewed them onto the can. Much cuter than plain, I think.
They are all growing now. Finn's got a bit of a late start though.
We also started some basil plants.
Can you see? They are popping through already!
I just loved the idea of starting them in eggshells (found here through here).

2 comments:

Mod Girl said...

Sigh. I heart the egg shell planters. I think the boys and I must do this, and give them away at Easter.

Lisa said...

Ooooohhhh cute idea. I'm gonna copy you.