Tuesday, May 5, 2009

letting go

I've been reading several books on homeschooling lately, and am trying to wrap my mind around what exactly God is leading me to do with our boys' education. I read this book at the end of my pregnancy with Jamie, which was truly an inspiration, and now I'm reading this and this, to continue learning about the Charlotte Mason philosophy.
One thing the books mentioned was nature journals, and in light of our beautiful Spring and our constant wanting to be outdoors, I felt inspired to get the boys started. It's recommended that you offer quality supplies, so we went to the art store and I bought (with my birthday gift card) some good quality art pencils and nice sketch pads, one of those nice gummy erasers... and then went outside with the boys to observe and sketch. They loved the journals. A lot. They drew and drew. Then it got a bit chilly, so we went inside, and they kept drawing. And not just nature. I think Indiana Jones made his way into some of those nature journal pages.
Now according to the books, I'm not supposed to interfere or limit what they draw in their journals. It's supposed to be their journal, not regulated by me. But Finn has used almost all his paper! I find myself wondering if I should tell myself I'm silly, just let this go, it's good for him to have nice things and use them, or if I'm just plain silly for buying nice paper and pencils for a three-year-old.

5 comments:

Kate said...

last time i was there Finn was drawing a picture and he told me it was of me, so i asked if i could have it and he said... "no."

Renee Therese (Towler) Clayton said...

Well, as an artist myself nice paper is REALLY important. You do it yourself too, so I am sure you know. But, it was important to me even when I was little. It you keep getting paper they like, they will keep up the GOOD work. But! you could maybe down grade a little, because certainly does hit the pocketbook. OR make homemade paper, which can be really nice and fun too. Try going on the internet and see if you can find a wholesaler.
Best of luck, and God Bless. They are lucky boys.

Vanillabean said...

dickblick.com has good prices on art supplies. Perhaps you already know about them.

becky @ misspriss said...

As young as they are, I'd go for a bit cheaper paper, upgrading when they notice or care.

Clare said...

I have thus far bought cheap paper and supplies for Anastasia. I am slowly upgrading using Michaels 40% off coupons for nicer things. That being said, she is only 2 and could care less whether she is drawing on nice or cheap paper or nice or cheap furniture. ;) Thanks for the nice homeschooling book links.