Tuesday, June 9, 2009

progress and lapses in judgement

I've been making small steps in my attempt to make our house a little more homey.

before

When we moved in I wasn't a huge fan of the window coverings and I've been trying to figure out what I want to do with them that didn't cost a ton.


after

$2.20 of burlap later. I've only done two windows, so I've got a bazillion more to go, but at least I've nailed down the direction I want to go in.


smart and not so smart

My kitchen doesn't get a lot of natural light, to I thrifted this mirror and Daniel put if up next to the glass doors. I'm really amazed how much it expands the light.

The shelf below if my lapse in judgement. The boys papers and craft supplies have been stored in the cupboards in the laundry room, but they are constantly making a mess of it. I decided to put everything out a shelf, clearly labeled, and easily accessible. I failed to really think about the fact that Jamie will most definitely, and already has, get into all this craft-supply goodness. I think I'm going to have to start craigslisting for something I can close.

3 comments:

~MG said...

Oh I love your burlap window treatment, so simple and tailored! I'm a big fan of shade-type coverings rather than lavish curtains... and, of course, plain windows in some rooms aren't bad either, provided you're not giving your neighbors a peep show!

amy @ switz~art said...

isn't burlap the best! so rustic and matches everything! i did something similar a few weeks ago in our kitchen:

http://switz-art.blogspot.com/2009/05/treating-binding.html

you did a fabulous job!

Vanillabean said...

I am jealous of your crafting skills.