Tuesday, September 29, 2009

love in the little things

I think last week's color week was a good way to kick-start my blogging again. Things were feeling a little too tricky round here. Really, it was wasn't much more than the everyday "stuff" that seems to pile on us all at times, but for some reason, it seemed trickier for me than usual. I felt a bit incapacitated. I could do the regular routine, mostly, but no extras. It was as though all this tricky stuff had left me powerless. And nobody really feels like blogging about that.

In the midst of all that tricky stuff, I read a book, Mother Teresa by Demi, to John and Finn (I highly recommend this beautiful book). Mother Teresa's life is always so inspiring. And it's funny how something as simple as a children's story can change your outlook, but I took away two things most especially from this book: The first thing was a reminder of the life of Mother Teresa's namesake, St. Teresa the Little Flower, who was said to have done no great things, only little things with great love. The second was a quote from Mother Teresa, "It is not how much we do, but how much love we put in the doing that makes our offering something beautiful for God." This seemed to put all that tricky stuff in a new light.

So I've been trying to do little things with much intention, much love. I cleaned the fridge. Clearly, my life is filled with many of these menial tasks, IMG_4927
but that is a mother's life, these are things that need to be done. But I think these tasks don't have to be menial. Through my everyday tasks I can be very capable, and in a way, powerful - I can love my family and God, very much, while doing so.

James decided to help. See? I think he's loving God and our family right here.
IMG_4928

3 comments:

Christian @ Modobject at Home said...

Oh, your littlest man is about the cutest chunk ever! Precious moments captured.

And, yes, I agree, any little thing done with love is a great thing.

Renee Clayton said...

I have heard those two quotes before, but I REALLY needed to hear that again right now. I had forgotten. I think I am going to pick up that book. Both my kids have birthdays coming up, and I am thinking books for presents. Keep up the GOOD work.

Clare said...

Thank you for this post! I needed to hear both of those quotes right now! And I have a picture of Isabel doing the EXACT same thing last week (except my fridge is not so clean). Your boys are just so adorable!