Thursday, October 15, 2009

thoughts on yesterday

IMG_4144

Yesterday was one of those days where everything seemed quite tragic. Now, maybe looking at events through someone else' lens, my "tragic" events weren't exactly what you might find under the classic definition of the word. Ok, it wasn't really "tragic" at all, but it was enough to rock my day.

After dinner, emotionally spent, I flipped through my Philokalia, letting God direct the pages. I read three texts: the first calling me to pray to Jesus always, the second telling how God does not call the equipped, but equips the called, and the third told a story of a monk who prayed for his struggles to end and to have peace.

I was moved by all three readings, but especially so by the story of the monk. In the story, God answers his prayers and the monk experiences "unbroken peace, without any conflict or struggle." Then, (and it seems a bit crazy, because peace without conflict or struggle sounds pretty nice) his spiritual director tells the monk to pray for the struggle to return, because "through conflict the soul comes to proficiency and victory."

I was telling the story to Daniel - and I must interject here, my husband is a theologian (that is his profession) - and Daniel says to me, "Well, in the words of Kanye West, 'N-n-now, th-that don't kill me, can only make me stronger.'"

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I like this story.

annemcd said...

LMAO!!

Ah, yes, the Lord does speak to us in many, many ways.... :)

Anna said...

Oh sigh. God bless husbands. They are good for so very many things.