Monday, February 22, 2010

looks yucky. tastes good.

I'm really not sure this looks very appealing, but it tastes good. Really.
homemade Larabars
Have you tried Larabars? I love them. Especially the Apple Pie flavor. So good. Our Costco used to have them and we got them a couple times then, but then they stopped and they are so expensive individually. We were out Saturday and I was starving so I picked one up. Looking at the ingredients, I figured I had to be able to make them at home. And I did.

Homemade Apple Pie Larabars

1/2 cup dates
1/2 walnuts (or pecans)
1/3 cup almonds
1/3 dried apples (the chewy kind, not crunchy)
1/4 raisins
1/4 tsp cinnamon

In the food processor, grind up your nuts to your desired level of crunchiness. Set aside. Then put your dates, apples, raisins, and cinnamon in the processor and blend aways until it becomes a big ball of well blended goo. Now go ahead and put the nuts back in with the fruit and blend for a bit. (I ended up taking my mixture out and blending by hand a little bit, too.) Line a tray with wax paper and spread your mixture out and press into a nice shape, then refrigerate to help them set. Cut and eat!

I think this is a great snack for the kiddos. They liked helped press it out - next time I think we might make little balls or something.

2 comments:

Vanillabean said...

awesome! Thanks for this discovery. I love Larabars!

Anna said...

I'll have to try this one out! Sounds de-lish.

(PS-Have I ever mentioned we have the same dishes?)