Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Hello Wednesday

I love my canning jars. I started using them for most of my food storage, from bulk items to leftovers - primarily because I think it looks so cute. Sometimes, though, the contents of my jars become a bit of a mystery. They hide in the back of my fridge or pantry for a bit and when I finally re-discover them, I think, "hmmmmmmm... maybe it's.... no, I have no idea." I was cleaning up in my laundry room and found a can of chalkboard spray paint and thought I would go ahead and spray the tops of my canning lids (I don't know that this idea would work for actual canning, though).
DSC_1260
I already keep a little container of chalk in my kitchen for our little chalkboard in there, so it has proved very handy to just write the contents on the tops. And today, for lunch, I heated up potato soup, not homemade yogurt.

18 comments:

Anne said...

GENIUS!!! I love it :) I might have to start doing that, too. I have oodles of canning jars that I need to use. Maybe I can do the leftovers thing, too. Just fabulous :)

Liz said...

I love the idea of chalkboard paint. I use the old fashioned bail wire jars (the ones with the glass tops) so I can't paint the lids. But maybe I could make jar necklaces for them so i can remember what are in mine. I currently have greek yogurt, black bean soup and green beans in jars in the fridge.

Kelley said...

OMG! This is beyond useful for me! I always end up using a sharpie, or hoping I know the difference! I love this idea! THANK YOU!

Christian @ Modobject at Home said...

Wonderful, wonderful idea... so practical and fun! Have you seen the Food in Jars blog? It's all about storing food in jars. You would love it.

Anna said...

Brilliant!!

Vanillabean said...

love it

Kelly said...

Thank you ladies.
Christian, I think I've seen the Food in Jars blog from one of your links before. I'll definitely have to revisit it.
Liz, I'm completely impressed you mastered homemade Greek yogurt - mine always comes out pretty runny.

Julie@ Glue Guns and Spatulas said...

Great idea!

Jen said...

I love this idea and am going to do this. Thanks for sharing. Glass is SO much better/safer for storing/heating food in than plastic!!!!

semicrunchymama said...

I clicked over from One Pretty Thing...this is such a fabulous idea! I was planning on picking up chalkboard paint later this week for another project -- I'm going to paint my jar lids at the same time! Genius!

Tricia said...

What an awesome idea! Thank you!!

Mandy and Jack said...

LOVE this idea!! Thank you for sharing!

Michelle said...

DUH!! Why didnt i think of this!?? I keep leftovers and things in jars as well and am definetely going to use this idea!! LOVE it!

Michelle@
www.sweettattletales.blogspot.com

elyse.rosati said...

This fabulous idea would have kepy me from throwing leftover pork on my salad today instead of the intended tofu!

yahres said...

I absolutely LOVE this idea!! I am a huge fan of the chalkboard paint and use it for everything. I cannot believe I didn't think of this before! You are a genius!

Thanks for sharing!
Jean
www.yahres.wordpress.com

Oysterblogger said...

Brillant

Me and My Pink Mixer said...

What a fabulous idea! Just another reason for me to go buy that chalkboard paint I have been wanting :)

Jena said...

Where did you buy the spray kind? I went to look, but couldn't find it. I love this idea!!