Wednesday, April 28, 2010

the time where John and Finn are under the impression they used to be African American

Well, I let the boys watch Sesame Street this morning while I jumped in the shower.  I made it down in time for the "Elmo's World" portion of the show.  Elmo asks a baby, who happens to be black, a question and Finn says, "Look, it's a black baby.  Just like when we were babies."  At this point, I'm wondering if he's just thinking it's a baby and he used to be a baby, or what, so I inquire:
"What do you mean Finn?  Do you mean you used to be a baby?"
He answers, "Remember? When me and John were black babies?" 

This portion of their childhood seems to have escaped me. 

Then I remember that Aunt Katie showed them this trailer when she was visiting this weekend.  At the beginning, there are two little siblings who are playing and then have a little fight.  I was watching with them and said as a joke, "Look, it's John and Finn!," referencing the little fights they so often have.  Apparently they took it quite literally.  So I explain to them that they were not actually black babies. Finn then asks, "But did we really play in the sand?"

8 comments:

Anne said...

that's fabulous! Oh, I love little kids and their logic! If you wrote a book, filled with one-page snippets from your life with your three musketeers, I would totally buy it, and read a page every day :) Keep up the good parenting!

and when I have my own Black babies ;) we'll bring 'em over to play

Christian @ Modobject at Home said...

Hilarious! I love how kids think.

My sister is expecting her third boy although her oldest, age 4, is adamant that he is getting a "black baby sister" NOT a white baby brother.

Kate said...

that's awesome. you're welcome.

Kathryn said...

I love this story.

Lisa said...

Have you ever the story of when I think one of our Uncles was coming home the hospital and the rest of the kids thought he going to be black, because they saw his birth certificate with the little black foot print on it? Ask your mom or Aunt Jan if you haven't heard it, it's pretty cute.

Kayleen said...

This reminds me of the story Rich and Jill tell about when they first went out and Jill's sorority sisters were looking out the window waiting for this "rich black" guy to show up. :)

Leilani said...

Matt and I couldn't stop laughing after reading this. Too cute!!

Anna said...

Oh, wouldn't that be grand? I kind of like the idea.