Wednesday, June 23, 2010

a bit of my container garden and new containers

DSC_0146

DSC_0149
Under the excellent care of our friends, my little container garden thrived while we were away.  This year I'm doing peas, carrots, tomatoes, tomatillos, beets, spinach, mescalin, basil, cilantro, parsley, dill, chamomile, potatoes, yams, squash, and a wonderberry plant (I've never seen wonderberry before, but is supposed to be like a huckleberry, which I have very fond childhood memories of picking in the woods near our home).  I have high hopes of a big tomato harvest that I can jar, and drying chamomile for tea and herbs for seasoning... but these are very high hopes indeed for a flighty girl with a brown thumb.

DSC_0150
Before we left on vacation, I was on a sewing spree.  I had read that one can grow potatoes in old coffee sacks and I wanted to try it.  Now, coffee sacks are quite big and I didn't actually have the room to try it, so I cut up the sack and sewed it into little planters. 
DSC_0148
(This is my little Japanese Maple start that got from neighbor's tree. 'Course I'll be 80 before it's big enough to plant in the ground.)
They actually work quite well and I'm making a few more for some of my tomato starts that need a bigger container.  So I guess even if another blight comes, and my plants fail, at least I figured out a cool container for them to whither in. 

1 comment: