Thursday, July 15, 2010

my latest bread craze

And I think this one is going to last a while.
DSC_0202
So I checked out the book Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking from the library a couple weeks before our vacation.  I loved it so much and used so many recipes from it in that short time that Daniel got me a copy of my own.  I was initially interested because I have been trying to soak my grains before cooking to help eliminate phytic acid, help the absorption of nutrients, blah-de-blah-de-blah (this is not a nutrition blog. I'm not going to pretend to know much about this stuff, I just know I wanna soak my grains).  Because you make your bread dough and store it in the fridge, I kind of figured that the flour has plenty of time to soak and ferment in there.  The bread is awesome (I use mostly whole wheat in my dough and some white flour) and we've made some pizzas, calzones, and several batches of sticky rolls (with and without pecans).   So, regardless of whether you care if your grains have been soaked or not, I just had to share cause it's made my life yummy lately. 

6 comments:

Ben Hatke said...

You really take some lovely slice of life photos, Kelly.

petitcompaore said...

Ooh, how fun! I saw that book at Borders and wanted to try the recipe. Your bread looks very artisan!

Kelly said...

Thanks Ben!
And Gina, you should totally get it. I think it's totally the tops.

Kelly said...

Oh, Ben, I just got that pun now.

Anna said...

Ooooo...I've been wishing for this book! Your bread looks ga-ga-gorgeous!

Christian @ Modobject at Home said...

Kelly, this is a beautiful, beautiful photo. I've heard wonderful things about the Artisan Bread book you mentioned, now I have visual proof that it's a must have!