Tuesday, August 3, 2010

a new shirt

DSC_0409
While we were on vacation Daniel took me to Alewives Fabric and let me go on a little shopping spree.  I was in fabric heaven.  I got the most prettiful fabric ever, and I am scared to death of cutting into it.  I picked up the Simplicity pattern 3786 when we got back with the intention of using it for my fancy fabric.
This is my test shirt.
DSC_0413
Sewing books I've read recommend that one first make a muslin version of your pattern before ruining your good stuff (well, that's what they infer).  I can't bring myself to do it.  One, because muslin, while cheaper than other fabric, still costs money.  And two, because who really wants to make something that you know will be non-wearable from the word "go"?  I pick up cheap fabric all the time at thrift stores, like this blue shirting.  I got 7 yards of it for $3.  Much cheaper than muslin, and.... ta-da! I can totally wear it because I did not screw it up too badly!!!

So there you go, that's my new practice shirt that I am hoping to make another just like in really, really beautiful fabric.  I just have to actually muster up the courage.  Maybe I should make another practice shirt.

(Daniel took these pictures.  I edited them.  The whole time he was clicking away I was laughing because I had a pretty good idea of what I would find once I checked the pics.  Sure enough, out of over a dozen photos of ridiculous faces, these were the least blurry.)

4 comments:

Kelley said...

Looks great!

Anna said...

First off, the shirt? Spectacular! I love it. Are those inverse french seams on the bodice? Super chic.

I was just looking at patterns online as I'd like to make a tunic-length top for fall. I love your selection!

And. Muslin. I am so with you on this. Who wants to make TWO of them, only to toss the first? Somehow, I'd rather buy cheaper fabric and maybe pull out the seam-ripper a time or two!

Christian @ Modobject at Home said...

Love it, love it, LOVE it! Beautiful work, as always. And I agree, I'll wear thrift store fabric any day before I'll make up something in muslin only to toss it aside.

The Frat Pack + Me said...

Wow! Wish I could sew!!