Tuesday, October 26, 2010

pumpkin + muffin = 2.5 min of peace and quiet

DSC_0128

DSC_0132

DSC_0125

Finn has been asking for the last couple weeks if I would make pumpkin muffins.  I make this recipe, but without the pecans.  We love them. 
James has been suuuuuuuuuch a stinker lately.  Holy moley.  Terrible two's, yeah, yeah.  He's fighting naps, causing trouble, and doesn't show any signs of wanting to wean.  He wants to nurse all the time (and I mean all the time - he woke up to nurse three times last night).  I would really like to give this up. I know there are various thoughts out there on when one should give up nursing, but honestly, it's just embarrassing to have your son yell at the top of his lungs, quite clearly, in the middle of church, "NURSE YOU!"  Yes, this happened last Sunday, and no, it was not the first time (I think the combination of the echo and the look of horror on my face give him a little thrill).  I wonder if the transition has been hard for him.  I'm not sure.  I'm trying to listen to his needs while gently guiding him.  Another problem, I realize, is tv.  It's been my crutch of late.  And I think I see the results of this crutch in some pretty terrifying tantrums.  I've resolved to quit shows for this week and ration after that.  So the last two days we've been tv free and trying to cut down on the nursing.  You can just read my previous sentence as "the last 48 hours have been pretty freakishly hard."  So I guess the moral of my story is, when you have a difficult two-year-old and a pumpkin, you make muffins.  And if I play my cards right, I have a cumulative of 15 minutes of peace left. 

4 comments:

Kelley said...

oh man do I ever understand this one!!! Murphy is loud when he wants something ( 2 also). He's weaned from the breast, but still wants his cup all the time, ALL THE TIME. Its probably teeth. That's Murph's problem. I am making banana bread and pumpkin muffins later today! Good Luck, Hang on, enjoy your results when they come, and they will!!!

Kayleen said...

Sounds like you guys could use another date night. Come, drop the boys off! (And feel free to send some muffins along with them :)

GeeMa said...

Maybe you should farm him out to Manfred's for a day:)

Vanillabean said...

You are brave; entering the TV battleground. Malachai is also hitting his terrible two's! I should make muffins.