Monday, November 8, 2010

i like stripes

It's easy to tell. Just about half the shirts I own are striped, and the majority of the boys' stuff is too. They're just so nice, those stripes. Well, anyways. So my mom has been thinking about getting a sewing machine and finally did last week. And naturally, I've been hogging it.  Mostly I've done mending or quick alterations for some recent thrift store finds, but last night I discovered a bag of giveaway clothes in one of the closets. I gave a quick look and found a shirt that I bought in New York on my honeymoon. I tried it on just to see if it still fit.  It sort of did.  Well mostly.  All except the midriff.  Why was it ever the style to make shirts so darn short?  Really, it flatters no one.  It only fatters them. 
Jamie needs more long sleeve shirts now that the weather is crispy, and the cotton in this one was so nice and thick and soft that when I woke up this morning I couldn't wait to cut into it.  DSC_0212
But I did have to wait.  School before sewing.  I wonder how many other mom's have to make that rule for themselves?  Then Jamie went down for his nap and course that's when I made it and took this nice picture.  Then he woke up and screamed when I put it on him and wouldn't let me take his picture.  He is not a very happy young man when he first wakes.  So we cuddled and snuggled and nursed (of course) and then we got this picture here:
DSC_0217
And that was the best I could do.  I've missed sewing. I feel a little bit better now.  I have a feeling I'm going to feel a lot better soon.  I've already cut out some pants for James.  And Uncle Pat, if your reading this, I found a pair of your old pants and I'm totally altering them to fit me, so loser's weepers ;-)

4 comments:

anne said...

well, after all--you (and your boys) do stripes so well :) love the alteration! can't wait to see the jeans!

(I totally have to set the "work before sewing" rule for myself, too :))

Kayleen said...

ha! I have a confession - in the course of me living at your old house and spending loads of time there I have seen that shirt and even tried it on! :P (is that weird?) Anyways, it didn't fit me so well, either, so I'm glad James is making good use out of it. He looks cute in it, and Lou has a shirt just like it so I'm sure one of these times they will be matching.

The Frat Pack + Me said...

Great idea! I have given away loads of too short shirts.

briana said...

Now I want a new machine. It is so painful to work with that I don't have the rule of school before sewing. It is 13 yrs old. I've never had much luck getting knits to look super great. Although I suppose if I got my serger sorted out that would help. What model did your mom get?