Ok, I didn't sew at all last night. We opted for family art night, which sounds so quaint, but it was just a spontaneous occurrence. It was fun, all of us sitting round the table coloring and drawing, till all 'h.e.double toothpicks' broke loose as a result of a certain 2.5 year old's lack of napping. So then we all chilled in our jammies and listened to Dan read, My Side of the Mountain. I swear, Dan and I are more into this book than the kids. (Did you know you can eat cattail?! I'm totally going to try it. This book is a treasure trove of survivalist info.) After the kids got in bed, I was too pooped to sew, so we continued out Parks & Rec marathon. I have no idea how I didn't realize this show was funny till a couple weeks ago. Anyways, like I said, I didn't sew, but I did have a project I worked on this week that sorta fits in a kids clothes week, as it's a kid's shirt. I just didn't sew it.
It seems like tie-dye is coming back into vogue these days. Well, in certain circles. I was doing laundry and have a bunch of little boy undershirts that should really be tossed in the rag bag, but I wondered if I could dye them. Not wanting to go buy anything to dye the shirts, I started looking up natural fabric dyes. There are many recipes for those, but no clear instructions on how to naturally tie-dye. So here's what I did.
Twisted up, like so.
Ooops, rewind. The t-shirt is supposed to be wet, so I soaked it, wrung it out, twisted it up again, then put 4 rubber bands on it to make some nice little wedges to dye. I only made two dyes.
Yellow: 2 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 cup water. Simmered for about 7-10 minutes.
Purple: 1/4 blueberries, 1/2 water, 1 tsp salt. Simmered for about 15 min and crushed berries. Then strained through a fine sieve.
Then I just spooned the dye over alternating wedges until I used up all the dye. I let it sit for about 6 hours before I decided I just couldn't wait any more and needed to know whether it actually worked. Rinsed it out and hung dry.
ta-da! It did! The back looks way better than the front, but I suspect it's because the back was less stained than the front.
Here's the front. You can still see the dinge and stains. So my initial goal of salvaging rag-bag bound shirt failed, but hey, I figured out how to tie-dye with all natural, homemade dye. The big boys want to help tie dye this afternoon, so we'll use clean shirts this time;)