Monday, May 16, 2011

we gots plenty a dough

After my little experiment with natural dye, I thought I might try it in our play dough.  Nothing tricky, just added a 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric instead of food coloring into my favorite play dough recipe. 
DSC_0195
I'm not a fan of having multiple colors of play dough going at one time.  I know, what a boring mom.  But they just mix it all and then nobody want to play with that ugly gray/brown stuff.
(Speaking of "boring", Jamie has learned the word - thank you John.  It's sort of hilarious, though, as he only kind of understands the meaning.  Anything he doesn't like has become boring.  "I don't want to pee on the potty, that's boring." or "I don't want dinner, that's boring.  I want ice cream."  Even though I can sort of understand his point, I can see this getting very old soon.)
DSC_0211

I love play dough, and I don't know how anyone who home schools with preschoolers in the house doesn't use it every day.  John and I sit down to work on hand writing and math and the play dough comes out for Finn and James.  We all sit peaceably together and stuff gets done. 
DSC_0212
So here's my most favorite play dough recipe ever.  Seriously, it's the best.  Better than store bought. 

1 cup flour
1/2 salt
2 tsp cream of tarter
1 cup boiling water
1 tbsp liquid coconut oil
1/2 food coloring (as I said before, I just added a 1/2 tsp of turmeric for the lovely yellow shade above)

First thing you want to do is put your salt in a food processor and let it go in there for a bit.  I've found that home-made dough can be grainy because of the salt, so I like to make mine really fine.  Then add all your dry ingredients together in one bowl, all your wet ingredients in another, then mix together.  Using coconut oil instead of other oils seems to be key as well.  It seems to retain the moisture in the dough better than other oils.

2 comments:

Renee Clayton said...

You give me the courage to offer only one color playdough at a time. They mix it and it drives me crazy and then the fun is over. I am glad to know it is okay to just offer one color. This year I am going to try homeschool kindergarten and I need to have some tricks for my other kids to keep them occupied.

Kelly said...

Hi Renee! It drives me crazy too - mostly because it's such a waste, because they really don't play with it once it turns into an ugly color. Good luck on next year. My best advice would be to work during nap times and have special toys, like play dough, for use while you're occupied with school. And it's kindergarten, so have lots of fun :)