Tuesday, November 15, 2011

a resolution

DSC_0133

Today starts the St. Phillip's fast. I've wanted to do Advent differently for years now, and this year I'm finally going to do it.

At the risk of sounding rant-y, here it goes:  I'm tired of the commercialization, I'm tired of all the stuff.  I'm tired of how stark and naked the world feels on December 26th.  I don't want to celebrate Christ's birth before Christmas. I'm sick of being sick of Christmas by the time it actually comes around.  If we all partied like it was our birthday every day for 6 weeks before it's actually our birthday, the party on our actual birthday just isn't going to feel that special, is it?  I know I'm not the only one who feels that this commercialization of Christmas just isn't ok.  For years I've seen bumper-sticker-type shout outs, like "Put Christ back in Christmas" and I'm sure you've seen similar sayings. But saying those things doesn't really do anything. I want to take action.

So this year, Dan and I have committed ourselves to trying to follow more traditional aspects of Advent. We're going to try to follow the St. Phillip's fast, say our special advent prayers like the St. Andrew's novena, and do a Jesse tree with the kids.  We're going to try not to watch Christmas shows, listen to Christmas music, or go to Christmas parties before Christmas.  Dude, there are supposed to be 12 days of Christmas, starting with December 25th, and I want to celebrate those.  It feels a bit weird and scary to put all this out there on the blog-front. I've learned my lesson before about putting my resolutions out there only to fall short, and that's a risk I'm taking now. But with this, I feel that others feel it too.  And maybe this year you wanna do it too?  I'm not saying our homes should be devoid of a Christmas tree till Christmas eve or anything, (I've got plenty of ideas for how we can prepare for Christmas) but maybe we should fast before we feast.

6 comments:

Red Herring Jeff said...

"If we all partied like it was our birthday every day for 6 weeks before it's actually our birthday, the party on our actual birthday just isn't going to feel that special, is it?"

Love that. It totally encapsulates the way I feel. Great post, thanks!

Kelly said...

Thanks Jeff!

beach babies said...

I here ya! I will pray for your family during this fast. It can be tough to stay focused, but it can be so fruitful.

And I hate sayings like 'Put Christ back into Christmas'. Ummmm. . .He never left it.

Kelley said...

Even though my theological views are different, I agree with your sentiments. I am thoroughly tired of Christmas displays and the forcing of toy purchases. It seems to get earlier and earlier every year.

Happy celebrations, and I hope all goes as planned!
I agree with Jeff also, great comment about birthdays!

Kelly said...

Thank you so much for your prayers Heather, I need 'em!

Kelley, I'm so glad for your comment, because I really was hoping, that as you said, the sentiment was universal.

Dwija {House Unseen} said...

I think this is a fantastic resolution. Brava!