Wednesday, December 14, 2011

ornamental preparations -or- deck'n the halls

We've been making some Christmas decorations around here.  Inspired by this, we made a little Christmas tree ornament.  I thought it would be a good one to do with the kids, but they just weren't that into it.  I think if I were to do it again, I would be sure to have all the pieces pre-cut for them (I was cutting and then handing them over as I was done), and maybe make holes in the middle.  Their judgment varied as to where the middle of the circle actually was, so I ended up finishing it up.  Then they liked it.
(And I just want to say how glad I am to have a little stash of felt in a bunch of colors on hand.  It makes it so easy to see something and say, "Let's make that!", and just get started right away.  Regular felt from Joann's is super cheap, and I always keep my eyes peeled for real wool felt when I'm at the thrift store, so I have a small suitcase full, and I maybe paid $3 for all of it.) 
christmas tree ornament

The pomanders we made were a collective hit though.  I would poke holes with the toothpick and they would stick the cloves in. (Make sure you buy your cloves at Costco.  It was about $5 for a huge container that we've barely made a dent in.)  I have to say, this was a very nice smelling project. 
pomander
We haven't actually got our tree yet, so I think that's next on the docket.

5 comments:

beach babies said...

oooooo. . .love the felt tree.

Vanillabean said...

That is a super cute ornament! I love wool felt, but it is soo spendy. You got a good deal!

Anna said...

I'm inspired! I remember making those pomanders as a kid and loving it. Why haven't I done that with my kids!

And I would have thought the felts would be a hit, too! I looove it!

smellslikesalad said...

You can also buy cloves in bulk, too. That's what I do. We make pomanders but use the smaller fresh mandarin oranges or tangerines, whatever's in closer proximity and availability. Hi, Flighty!

oonaballoona said...

you're making me regret all the non-decorating i did this year....