Wednesday, March 7, 2012

we made pretzels

CSC_0115 CSC_0114 CSC_0116 CSC_0120 CSC_0118 CSC_0119 I'm so tempted to go on about how frustrated I am with blogger. Does no one else have these problems? Seriously, the tool bar never shows up anymore - I have to simply guess and click tabs I can tell are there but don't really know what they are till I click them... Ok, I guess I did go on. Anyways. Lent is upon us. Here is my Ash Wednesday story, to lighten the mood: After we had gone to church and all of us received ashes, James was cuddling with me on a chair. He then looked into my eyes, very seriously, and then moved his nose carefully to my forehead and made an audible, "sniff". He looked me int he eyes again and said, "I'm smelling your ash, mom." Sniffs again, and says, "Your ash smells good. Your ash smells like candy." We made pretzels today, and it was like deja vu all over again. Actually, it was more than that. I was telling Dan, in a most unintelligible way, that I felt like I just remembered part of who I am, and what I do, and that somehow it got lost. I think sometimes with homeschooling (and maybe just life in general, but I think most specifically homeschooling lately), I will get lost in my focus - thinking mostly on bookwork and worrying about it getting done. So when we were all together, making pretzels, measuring, taking turns, talking about other things, I remembered: "This is who I am. I enjoy these little boys. We learn together all day long and we don't have to call it school. We don't have to call it anything. We are just living, and working, and praying together. This is what I do." So yes. That was making pretzels. I know in most parts of the country, it is still most definitely winter, but kids, I can hear frogs outside my window as I type this. There are blooms everywhere. It is beautiful. I read somewhere once that you should not keep any flowers in the house during Lent. I can't help it. The boys bring me blooms daily, and how am I to decline. And then there were the grape hyacinth that looked so darling when I put them into that little milk glass vase. There's this little hedge out front that is terribly thorny, but in the center, there are the prettiest blooms. I took several cuttings, and it's sitting on the dining table. I thought it just seemed a fitting arrangememnt for the season. And now, I'm going to hit publish. But I fear that my formatting is going to get all messed up because that's what keeps happening when I try to preview it. This really makes blogging un-fun. I'm going to have to figure this out, or maybe just get a new blog. I'll let you know.

4 comments:

peacework designs said...

Love the photos! I've wanted to make pretzels for quite some time, but haven't done it yet. I don't have any problems with blogger like you have and I just have regular google- not google chrome or firefox or whatever other fancy things. Not sure what's going on with yours. I hope you figure it out! I agree that technology is extremely frustrating.

Vanillabean said...

Darn that blogger. Mine was messed up, but now it is ok. I always enjoy your writing. Pretzels and blooms :)

oonaballoona said...

i wonder why you shouldn't keep flowers during lent? i never heard that...

don't let formatting stop you, i love your posts! the disappearing toolbar has happened to me before. have you: done all of your updates (mac and browsers), are you always signed into your email account linked to your blog, and are you using the new blogger dashboard? other than that you may want to use safari or firefox to post. chrome has issues sometimes. :)

AKmamaOf6 said...

Um, are we soul sisters? Could be, anyway, really enjoyed scouring your blog. I saw one of your pics on pintrest and I had to find out if you were Orthodox or Catholic. Either way, adorable family, I'm on the same hippie path as you, same grain mill and I really want one of those spirals for Lent and Advent also! Um, what state do you live in where you got snow in April?? That's normal where I'm from...anyway. I'm happy to have found your blog. -Anna