Monday, August 6, 2012

jamie, beans, and giant things

It's been one of those days so far.  Everyone seems to hate Mondays, I know.  But I usually like them.  It's a fresh start.  I'm renewed and ready to try again for a great week, even if I know we don't usually make it.  But I'm ready to try.  And trying I am.  But kids, I'm gonna be ever so cliche and tell you, it's just been one of those days.  Thus far. I'm not without hope, though.  I'll not write the whole day off.
So after this hectic morning, I stepped outside and took a few pictures.  I have this beautiful flower in my yard.  Does anyone know what it is?  They are amazing - only lasting for one day, but there are several buds all over.  So one or two will bloom, being quite spectacular for the day, and then fade and fall in the evening. But then there's another show for the next day.  I just love it.
DSC_0668
DSC_0676
So after much "discussing", James opted not to get dressed today.  He stated, "It's just easier for me mom."  There were other battle to be fought, so that's the way he stayed.  Later he walked into the kitchen with his wings on.  So now he can fly.  Apparently.  At least that's what he says.  (He's been into this phase of gluing paper to himself.)
DSC_0679
Would you look at the size of this monster?!?  I don't know if you can tell, but this guy is almost the size of my thumb.  Just a garden spider, so nothing dangerous.  I hope he doesn't try to come in my house, though.
DSC_0681
And while on the subject of giant things, look at this sunflower!  It's really got to be almost 10 feet tall and it still doesn't have the flower on it yet.  James is helping show the scale by flying around.
DSC_0683
And this is our bean harvest.  And a story.  I bought a package of Jacob's Cattle beans, with the hopes of growing them into a bean tepee for the boys.  I had my little tepee-trellis all set up, the boys and I planted the beans, they grew, but they wouldn't vine.  Next thing I knew, there were beans all over the plants and I realized I was being gypped out of my bean tepee dreams.  Gypped!!  So I finally looked up Jacob's Cattle beans, only to discover they are bush beans, not vining at all.  I felt a little silly.  And after all that, I realized if I want to grow beans for us to eat, I'm going to have to plant many, many more bean plants than that.  I maybe quadrupled the amount I started with.  Give or take.  It will be enough for a meal, I'm sure.  But I didn't think we go through all that for just one meal.
DSC_0688
So there you have it.  Random bits from the fog that is currently my brain.  It's always good to blog when you're feeling frustrated and you don't really have anything to say.  I'm thinking about turning on a kids show now, and trying to lay down.  Maybe when I get up, someone will have unloaded the dishwasher and started some laundry.  Maybe even vacuum a little. Oh, and figure out what I'm supposed to fix for dinner.  An eternal optimist, I am.  

3 comments:

Torey said...

Your plant with the huge flower is a hibiscus I think.

Lisa said...

Jamie is such a cutie.
No clothes=less laundry.
I think that flower maybe some type of hibiscus, I'm not really sure though.

Kelly said...

hmmmm.... there were two other comments that just aren't showing up.

Heather: I went ahead and tried the Ivory soap in the microwave. No explosion. But not what I expected. I thought the kids were supposed to be able to mold it like play dough or something. It was more just cool to watch and then throw them in the bath with it.