Tuesday, September 18, 2012

a birthday boy

DSC_0768 DSC_0770 DSC_0778 DSC_0783
A certain little boy had a birthday the other day.  It's hard to believe he's four, and not a baby any more.  And that feels a little sad.  Dan and I were talking about how strange it feels that he's actually four, yet it feels like he's been four for a while. He's such a delightful little man.  He still comes into our bed at night half the time, though.  I don't mind too much, for now. Some "baby" habits are hard to break.
All this baby talk - I don't think I've mentioned - that we are hoping to see the arrival of one at our house.

... Now I've written two other large paragraphs talking about baby stuff and my absence from this space.... but I felt as though I was explaining myself, defending myself, or something... I don't know... I don't want to feel like that.  Why do we bloggers feel the need to apologize when we take a break for a bit?  It's silly.  We have real lives.  So I'll just recap with the facts:  I haven't been here.  We're having a baby.  James is four.  Hope you have a wonderful day!

7 comments:

peacework designs said...

Ha! Ha! Love the 'lack of blogging' commentary. Ain't it the truth!! Congrats on the new life! And congrats on #4!!

oonaballoona said...

that is just all wonderful. congratulations!!!

i know what you mean about break apologies. i've decided, i get so happy when i see a post from a missed blogger, i don't much care why they've been gone in the first place if they don't want to say. after all, there's a lot of life outside of the computer screen.

Vanillabean said...

I need a deep long explanation missy! JK

Happy Birthday to James!!!
& When are you due?

Kate said...

I love that as you have more children and they get older the les and less elaborate their bay cakes get until you have this, an unfrosted loaf turned out onto a plate with candles in it. Perfect. Although knowing you it tasted delicious.

Kelly said...

Thanks my ladies!
And Kate, so true. It was Smitten Kitchen's Everyday Chocolate Cake - it was awesome. I sliced it up just like she did and plated it with a dollop of whip cream and fresh raspberries, so when I actually handed out pieces, it wasn't nearly as sad looking. :) I laughed when I loaded the pictures up of my ugly cake. Seriously though, I don't know if you remember John's 4th b-day cake picture - I used candy corns to spell "happy birthday", but that was awesomely worse. Honestly, my ability to make ugly cakes should be interpreted as an art form. It's gotta be some kinda mad skill to be able to make something that tastes completely delightful while simultaneously looking like shit.

Kayleena said...

Happy Birthday Jamie! Miss you little guy! :) (or not so little anymore)

Kate said...

amazing. i think you should just start blogging your cakes...I wish I had some now...soooo good.